- Department of Social Work
- Faculty and Staff
- BSW Program
- MSW Progam
- MSW Program Admissions Policy
- Student Organizations
- Professional Development
- CSWE Assessment
Albany State University MSW Advanced Standing Policy
Advanced Standing Students
Applicants holding a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited undergraduate program may request consideration for “Advanced Graduate Standing” (the waiver of specific foundation courses).
- To qualify for advanced standing, you must:
- Possess a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from a CSWE-accredited social work program;
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited college or university;
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree with a strong liberal arts focus, including coursework in the social sciences, behavioral sciences, natural sciences and humanities;
- Completed the BSW degree within the past five  years;
- Earned a minimum grade point average of 3.0 overall in all undergraduate work attempted or earned a grade point average of 3.2 in the last 60 semester hours;
- Earned a combined score of 800 or better on the Verbal and Quantitative sections of the Graduate Records Examination [GRE] or a score of 390 or better on the Miller Analogy Test [MAT];
- At least one of your three references for your application must be from your undergraduate Faculty Advisor, the BSW Field Director or from the Chair of the Social Work Department at your college or university.
- How to apply for advanced standing:
- Request the “Application for Advanced Standing” from the MSW program and mail it in with your Graduate Admission Application. All documents are to be returned to the Department of Social Work to the attention of the Graduate Admissions Committee.
- Upon acceptance into the MSW program, you may be asked to supply copies of your undergraduate research papers, field education contracts/plans, field evaluations, college catalog, and course syllabi, unless the Department of Social Work at Albany State University has them on file for your BSW degree.
- Advanced standing waivers are assessed after your acceptance into the graduate social work program.
- The Outcome:
- You may be waived from any or all of the MSW foundation courses – up to 32 credit hours (see the attached Course of Study form; courses highlighted in yellow are eligible for advanced standing waiver) –which repeat content that you already mastered in your undergraduate program with a grade of “B” or better. The materials from each applicant are evaluated individually. Waivers are not automatic.
- An individualized plan of study will be developed to guide you in completing any required foundation courses and beginning your advanced concentration courses. In most cases, your course work will begin either in the Summer or in the Fall semester for which you were admitted.
Due to the limited acceptance of Advanced Standing students in the MSW program, enrollment is extremely competitive and will be awarded only to outstanding applicants that clearly demonstrate the knowledge, experience, and skills required for direct admission into the advanced year of the MSW program. Students admitted into the Advanced Standing program who fail to earn a grade of “B” or better will be removed from the Advanced Standing program. The Student may be given the option of continuing in the regular two-year MSW degree program.
The MSW Program Director, in consultation with Faculty, will assess competencies already achieved for students requesting advanced standing. Deadlines must be met to allow adequate time for review of materials and to arrange for special advising.